Lucas is a city in Collin County, Texas and is 45 miles north of downtown Dallas. Many people choose to live here because of its bucolic setting with stunning homes offering one and two acre lots. It’s a small town suburb with all the amenities of the larger cities close by. Take a drive down a country road or head to nearby Plano, McKinney and Fairview for a variety of shopping and restaurants to choose from.
- As of 2014, population is 6,883 people.
- Estimated median household income in 2015: $121,279
- Median household income above state average.
- Median house value significantly above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
There are six school districts that serve the town of Lucas however most citizens are served by Lovejoy ISD.
Lovejoy Independent School District is currently responsible for the education of over 3,800 students. The district consists of 1 high school, 1 middle school, 1 intermediate school and 3 elementary schools. The High school is a four-year public high school enrolling 1,331 students in grades 9 through 12. This includes 297 seniors, 326 juniors, 364 sophomores, and 344 freshmen. The high school opened in the fall of 2006 and graduated its first senior class in the spring of 2010 and provides a stimulating, comprehensive educational experience grounded in a rigorous liberal arts, college preparatory curriculum.
The district covers approximately 17 square miles and is home to over 4000 K-12 students. LISD is categorized as a 5A school district for athletics, fine arts and academic competitions. LISD will remain a district with only one high school with 9-12 enrollment not to exceed 1,900 students. LISD graduated its first senior class in 2010 and consistently receives both state and national recognition for post-secondary readiness. (Courtesy Lovejoy ISD)
- In August 2015, StartClass ranked the Lovejoy Independent School District as the #1 public school district in the State of Texas and the #5 public school district in the United States.
- Winner of the State of Texas HEB Excellence in Education Award for school districts.
- Two-time winner of the prestigious UIL Lone Star Cup.
- Ranked #2, out of 1,217 school districts, in performance on the State of Texas Assessment of Academic Readiness (STAAR) exams. One of 24 districts in Texas recognized for college readiness.
- Lovejoy High School ranked as one of the top 500 high schools in the United States by “U.S. News and World Report,” in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and a 2016 ranking of 222 out of nearly 20,000 high schools.
- The College Board designated 253 High School Advanced Placement Scholars in 2016. 212 Lovejoy High School Advanced Placement Scholars earned this distinction in 2015.
- The College Board has designated LISD High School as an AP Honor Roll Recipient.
FUN THINGS TO DO
Wanna find the top kid friendly attractions in Lucas? Here’s an action packed itinerary that will get you going. You haven’t been to the zoo since you were a kid right? So time to get back, and with all the steps you’ll get walking around you’ll find it’s a great way to stretch your legs as well. Check out Soil Conservation Service Site 89 Dam or try The Dallas World Aquarium. Lucas has a multitude of great libraries and reading rooms. Wherever your interests lie you’ll discover a great selection of genres like Business, Horror, and Poetry. Take some time and get LITERAL at W O Haggard, Junior Library. Spend some time at the library and soon you’ll be impressing your mother in law with your huge brain while bloviating about poets like Thomas Lux at trendy parties.
Try something more exciting. Lucas has many interesting local county parks and great places to be outside for everyone. Get your fam in the car and bounce to Hillside Park or maybe stop by Rockwall County Library and check out a copy of A Touch of Greek by Tina Folsom, or something easy to read and enjoy some serenity at Brockdale Park. When you want to get outside in Lucas locals advise taking in the delightful at Eagle Stadium. Going bowling is a majestic sport of skill and precision. Get everyone together and crush some pins and enjoy some fried food at Showplace Lanes Garland. Or pick up a seven ten split at Allen Bowl.
After all this take a moment to re-energize Ice cream is not just for dessert anymore. Looking for a way to cool off? There’s a million ways to get your ice cream fix in town. Check into Marble Slab Creamery, or stop at Braum’s Ice Cream & Dairy Stores for the awesomest chocolate or maybe some fantastic gelato. Time to decompress now. Like to bend an elbow and have some drinks, or meet like minded people who like to get altogether Dean Martinized during your time in Lucas. Down something interesting maybe a Flying Grasshopper, or perhaps a Tomahawk. While in Lucas we reccomend Lounge Lizard, Tip Tap Enterprises Inc, or Ted & Larry’s Sports Cafe.(Courtesy City Wide Information)